Thursday, October 21, 2010

Coffee Talk, Uncensored

Many things are brewing in my coffee pot brain lately. I keep asking for decaf but it seems that only expresso is being served. I'll begin by soberly saying that I am so thankful that God is the giver and taker of life. It's easy to convince ourselves otherwise, but what a relief to know this truth.

Psalm 139:13-16

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

And then John 14:1-6

1 "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God,
believe also in me.

2 In my Father's house are many rooms;
if it were not so, would I have told you that
I go to prepare a place for you?

3 And when I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come again and will take you to myself,
that where I am you may be also.

4 And you know the way where I am going."

5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going;
how can we know the way?"

6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth,
and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.


But why does the end feel more like a four letter word at times than not? I think we have to remember that when death confronts us, whether it be from a distance or up close and personal, we are affected, no matter how far under the covers we crawl. We are affected because it brings the Giver and Taker up close and personal.

Tonight, Sam and I went to a "love differently" sort of thing. The evening topic was voicing needs, one of them being the need to grieve. The speaker noted that Americans don't really mourn the way that people from other nations do. Why I wondered. Do we feel like we need to be politely sad? Possibly. Are we so politically correct that honesty is no longer acceptable when it comes to our emotions? Many times, yes. Could it be that followers of Christ have a sense of peace that others don't? Certainly. But grieving is important. I know this to be true because our family has been in the midst of this very subject more than we would prefer lately. And with that, we have all mourned very differently. Still, I have found myself temped to assume that those not grieving as I am don't care enough or even worse...don't get it at all, just like other nations might think about us.

(Getting all pompous is something I do well. Blah.)

And then I was reminded that this is a process. Life is a process, for all. And our process is not going to ever look just like another's.

But there is one keynote not to be missed, as in all good roasts. Our minds, hearts and souls must remain saturated with the truth so that when the final dance is on stage, we are confident ticket holders of the next performance.

My cup runneth over.

No comments: