Sunday, May 08, 2011

Slow It Down?

Life is busy. For everyone I know, regardless of what career they have, married or not, children or not or even if the responsibility of a furry little critter defines you, life is busy.

Last month I turned the big 4 0 and literally celebrated all month long. It was lovely and I did enjoy most every minute of it however, at a small cost, or perhaps a little bit bigger than small cost. You see, I am one who always enjoys a good social gathering but I recognize that not all do...or maybe just not quite as much as I do. One being my husband, and while I'm holding the honesty card, actually most of my kids as well. While I knew last month was going to be busy, I gave Sam the heads up only to find he was already far more prepared than I could have guessed. He actually entered all the extracurricular engagements on his phone calendar....keeping a record of all the "fluff" if you will. Initially, I was a little disturbed by his effort (so out of character and I could smell an ulterior motive) but I would have to be a blind mouse to not see his perspective. And when it was all said and done, memories were full but we were WIPED OUT. Which brought us to the, "what is really necessary in life" conversation.

He won.
It was unanimous.

Down Time.

Husband, kids, even the cat and dog agreed....by demonstration of course. Hmmm, let's see what that might look like...
So, on this Mother's Day, this is where you will find me. At home. Lounging with the family - minus Collin (blasted his father for stealing him from me this day.) Excuse the vent, I'm good now. Or maybe a little brunch with a tall mimosa to take the edge off is in order? Kidding.

See Jen run.
Sit Jen, sit.
Stay Jen, stay.
Good Jen.

Enjoy your minutes today, wherever you are. For I am learning that minutes are from where all memories actually begin. Imagine that?

“I think the world today is upside down. Everybody seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for greater development and greater riches and so on. There is much suffering because there is so very little love in homes and in family life. We have no time for our children, we have no time for each other; there is no time to enjoy each other. In the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.” Mother Teresa

2 comments:

Ms. Amy said...

Happy Mother's Day, sweet friend...love you!

Lara said...

Such a lovely, perfect-perspective post. Love you!