Monday, June 23, 2008

The Top Five... actually six

Sam and I had dinner last night with some friends at a local steakhouse. It was an awesome place, of Del's caliber, which triggered a conversation about some of our all time most memorable places we have dined in America. I didn't realize I had created a subconscious list of favorites, but now that I have, I'll share them with you. The order is chronological, and doesn't necessarily reflect the best.

First: Antares atop Reunion Tower (soon to be Wolfgang Puck's), Dallas, TX, 1981. I was on a double date with my boyfriend, Chad Griggs and his parents. I honestly don't remember the cuisine, however I do recall sitting in my chair and Chad standing on the interior part of the restaurant (the non rotating side) laughing while we (his mom, dad and I) drank our iced tea and went round and round, literally. Being my first date and all, I wasn't sure if I should stay and laugh with his parents or join in on the fun. I eventually, excused myself and ran around acting like the fifth grader that I was. I also remember the plant beside the restroom we kept hiding behind while he stole a cheeky kiss.

Second: Some seafood dive in Destin, FL, Summer, 1989. I was traveling with a family as their nanny while they vacationed. We were nearing the end of our trip so rather than cooking in that night, we went out. The atmosphere was of course beachy and the snow crabs were divine. The best I have ever had.

Third: Elgin Plantation, Natchez, MS, 1993. We stayed at this beautiful B&B with my Mom and Dad, when Gib was just a baby. The home was phenomenal and the grounds were breathtaking. Every morning we were served a southern breakfast made by their long time housekeeper and oh-my-gosh was it good! There is something about waking up to the smell of breakfast and knowing that you didn't have to prepare it or clean it up. The most memorable flavor of each morning was the grits - by far, and I've never been a grits fan until I tasted hers. Simply amazing, the food, the pampering... I need to go back!

Fourth: The Buena Vista, San Francisco, 2002. I love this place! It was my first get away weekend with Sam Brown. The coffee house was recommended due to their famed Irish coffee recipe (it was strong and good), but to our surprise the Crab Benedict we ordered turned out to be one of the most amazing things I have ever tasted. Also, this little coffee house was the very place Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda visited in the movie, "Yours, Mine and Ours". Although we didn't recognize the irony until later, fortunately we bought a watercolor of the cafe that we have framed in our bedroom today. I smile every time I look at it.



Fifth: Ragnar's, Colorado Springs, CO, 2004; 2006. A magical experience. The first time, we went to Ragnar's with friends, the second time we went with the kids and my parents. The evening began with a ride on the Gondola up the mountain to meet the open air sleigh ready with wool blankets and hot chocolate. Everyone sat close to help curb the freezing temperatures until we arrived at the restaurant. The feel was a little folksy, with sounds of John Denver and Neil Diamond performed live by a one man band. The food was served in courses and very delicious, but the best part of the entire experience was the water. Yep that's right, the water. They gather it from the spring directly behind the restaurant daily, hourly or perhaps pitcher by pitcher and I have never had anything like it before or since. I'm sure the wine list is impeccable, but truly as we looked around, most everyone was savoring every drop of the cool, crisp water. It was the talk of the trip.

Sixth: Picasso, Las Vegas, NV, 2008. It was my cousin's birthday. The food was served in courses with wine pairings. The atmosphere was European and we had the best view of the water fountain display. Perfection.

I'm sure there are some I've forgotten but maybe because the impact wasn't as grand or because it was before I was 30 and lacked the ability to appreciate all that breaking bread had to offer.

No comments: